Planning Institute of BC: Media Release; Saanich Planner Named 2008 Planner of the Year
VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA–(EMWNews – July 21, 2008) – The Planning Institute of BC (PIBC) has honoured Hope Burns as Planner of the Year at their annual awards ceremony.
Burns, Director of Planning with the District of Central Saanich, was recognized by the PIBC for a career defined by excellence in planning, a commitment to the communities where she has worked, a dedication to the planning profession, and the highest of ethical standards.
“Hope exemplifies the finest qualities of planning professionalism and does so in a rural municipality with few resources facing enormous growth pressure in the Greater Victoria region,” said PIBC President Hazel Christy.
“Hope was using the sound planning principles of smart growth, agricultural land preservation and heritage conservation before they became the norm. She produces work that is ahead of its time and is among the most sophisticated and skilled rural planners in Canada.”
The PIBC, through its Awards Program, recognizes excellence in the planning profession and amongst its members. Other award winners included:
– City of Vancouver: Oakridge Centre Policy Statement (Site Planning and Design over $50,000)
– City of Kelowna: Downtown Sign Plan (Site Planning and Design $50,000 and under)
– City of Terrace: Airport Lands Area Concept Plan (Comprehensive Policy and Plans $50,000 and under)
– Westland Resource Group Inc.: Cowichan Basin Water Management Plan (Comprehensive Policy and Plans over $50,000)
– Beasley and Associates, Planning Inc.: Plan Abu Dhabi 2030 (Award of Excellence – Special Recognition)
– City of Whitehorse: Whistle Bend Planning and Design Charette (Award of Excellence – Honourable Mention)
The Planning Institute of BC is an association of BC and Yukon professional planners. Members work in a variety of fields, including land use planning, environmental resource management, land development, heritage conservation, social planning, transportation planning and economic development.
Major Newsire & Press Release Distribution with Basic Starting at only $19 and Complete OTCBB / Financial Distribution only $89